Books are a uniquely portable magic. ~ Stephen King

Friday, March 12, 2010

February

My friend Matt says to me, he says, "Y'know how Bernie Taupin wrote stories and Elton John stretched them and molded them and turned them into songs?" I didn't, but Matt knows a lot more about things like this than I do, so I trusted him. "Will you be the Bernie to my Elton?" he proposed.

Who says no to Sir Elton?

I loved the idea, but had no idea how to make it work. I told him I couldn't write lyrics or poetry and he said no worries - he didn't want me to write the lyrics - he wanted me to write a story. He had some bones and he wanted me to flesh them out. Loving the idea, I set to work immediately.

This was the first piece:
Mrs. Folino's Man

This was the second:
The Old Man in Winter

I was less than pleased with the second, so I went back to the drawing board and came up with this, the final piece:
Winter

Today I would like to offer up a special treat. I'd like to give you the chance to listen to the song that resulted from those stories. Without further ado, Matt's solo project,
Bad Toupee and the song February.




8 comments:

  1. Way to go Bernie, er; Tammy. It's so cool.

    Tell Matt he can use anything from HS for his mad skills; the Vomit Meme... All I Wanted was a Good Cup of Coffee...I Love My Cats...
    It's like a grab bag. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?! No, wait, what?! That is amazing!! He sounds like someone...who does he sound like...Bruce?? I don't know but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is VERY impressive Tammy! Great job to you and Matt.
    More please.
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...I'm bowled over! And I love the Bernie-Elton analogy, too. Just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was so cool! I have goosebumps. I loved how I could so easily make the connections between your stories and his lyrics. Fascinating. Great song.

    ReplyDelete